It's nearly time for class. Hurry up!
要上课了,快点!
Class begins in a half hour.
再过半个小时就要上课了.
nearly ad. 几乎,差不多
I've got to play truant.
= I gotta skip classes.
我得逃课。
truant n. 旷课者
skip v. 略过,逃
play truant“逃学,旷课”
have got to=(have)gotta意为“不得不,得”。
Will the bell ring soon?
快要打铃了吗?
Did the bell ring?
打铃了吗?
Hey, have you previewed Chapter Two?
= Hey. have you prepared Chapter Two?
嘿,你预习第2章了吗?
preview v. 预习
Everyone I attend this class, I feel very sleepy.
每次我上这课,就犯困。
attend v. 出席,参加
sleepy a. 困倦的,欲睡的
This afternoon's class isn't going to be very interesting.
今天下午的课没意思。
His class is boring.
他的课没意思。
Could you say "yes" for me when the teacher calls the roll?
老师点名时帮我喊一声“到”行吗?
call the roll“点名”
Skipping Class逃课
Helen: Robert, where are you going?
海伦:罗伯特,你去哪儿呢?
Robert: I've got to go to the railway station to pick up a friend.
罗伯特:我去火车站接一个朋友。
Helen: But class begins in a half hour.
海伦:但是再过半小时就要上课了。
Robert: I've got to play truant. I don't have a choice. And besides, this afternoon's class isn't going to be very interesting. I don't feel like I’m going to miss very much if I don't make it.
罗伯特:我得逃课了。我没办法。再说,今天下午的课也没意思。我觉得我不去上也损失不了多少。
Helen: That may be true, but you know the teacher giving the lecture is very strict. I am afraid you're going to fail this class if you are always absent. Couldn't you let someone else go get your friend?
海伦:这也许没错。不过,你知道上这堂课的老师特别严,我担心如果你老是逃课的话,你会不及格的。你不会叫另外一个人去接你朋友吗?
Robert: I probably could let someone else go, but why should I? You know you could say "yes" for me when the teacher calls the roll if you're really worried that I might fail.
罗伯特:我也许可以叫别人去,可是我为什么要这么做呢?如果你真担心我考试不及格的话,在老师点名的时候,你可以帮我喊一声“到”啊。
Helen: That's a bit of a problem. You know I don't like to lie, especially to teachers.
海伦:那可不行,你知道,我不喜欢说谎,特别是在老师面前。
1.“pick up”在对话中的意思是“用汽车搭载某人或接某人”。I'll pick you up at 7 o'clock.(7点钟我开车去接你。)He picked up a hitch-hiker.(他中途让个搭便车的人上了车。)
2.“(考试、功课等)不及格”用“fail(the subject,course,exam,test
etc. ) ”。例如 : I failed my driving test the first time I took it. (我第一次考驾照的时候没及格。)Daniel failed maths but passed all his other subjects.(丹尼尔数学不及格,不过其他科目都通过了。)另外,fail表示此义时也可以用作不及物动词。例如:I passed in history but failed in chemistry.(我的历史通过了,可是化学没有及格。)She took the exam but failed.(她参加了考试,不过没有及格。)
“play hooky”是“玩”什么呢
据说一位中国留学生在费城读研究生时,同时担任了助教的工作。因为常去电教中心领取作业、报表等,所以与一位职员关系颇熟。
一天下午,这位留学生去领取报表,结果没拿到,因为那个职员不在。他等了又等,仍然不见那个职员的踪影。后来职员终于出现了,朋友问他:“你到底去哪儿啦?一职员笑嘻嘻地开玩笑说:“Play hooky.”
这位留学生不了解“hooky”这个词的含义,主观地认为:既然它与“play”用在一起,一定与运动、比赛有关,像“play hockey”、“play basketball”一样。于是很认真地问他:“谁赢了?比分是多少?”只见职员突然表情尴尬,没做任何应答,只悻悻然地给了这位留学生报表。
这位朋友同样也颇为懊恼,拿了报表,回到住处。他开始查字典,才知道“play hooky”是个俚语,是“逃学”的意思。