I'd like to apply for a library card.
我想申请一张借书证。
library card“借书证”
Where can I get a library card?
我在哪里能办借书证?
How can I get a library card?
我怎样办借书证?
Is there a deposit for a library card?
借书证要押金吗?
deposit n. 押金,保证金
Do you have a photocopier here?
你们这儿有复印机吗?
photocopier n. 复印机
Where is the periodical room?
期刊室在哪儿?
Is there a quiet reading room?
有安静的阅览室吗?
periodical n. 期刊,杂志
Have you got the latest Time magazine?
有最新一期的《时代周刊》杂志吗?
latest a. 最新的,最近的
Can you please tell me where to find the biographies?
请告诉我在哪儿可以找到传记作品好吗?
Where is the fiction?
小说在哪儿?
biography 传记
fiction n. 小说
I'd like to check out these books.
我想借这些书。
I'd like to return these books.
我想还这些书。
check out“办妥手续之后取出”
At the Library在图书馆
Librarian: Can I help you?
图书管理员:要帮忙吗?
Jackson: Have you got the latest Onshow magazine?
杰克逊:你们有最新的《昂秀》杂志吗?
Librarian: Yes, but it is checked out.
图书管理员:有,但是已经借出去了。
Jackson: That's unfortunate! Do you know when it is coming back?
杰克逊:太遗憾了!你知道什么时候能还回来吗?
Librarian: No. I'm sorry. I don't. It is popular, you know. Do you want to reserve it?
图书管理员:对不起,我不知道。你知道这本杂志是很受欢迎的。你要预借吗?
Jackson: Yes, please.
杰克逊:是的。
Librarian: Fill out this form, and we'll send you a note when we get it.
图书管理员:填好这张表,我们拿到这本杂志后就通知你。
Jackson: Thank you. What shall I do when I check out these books?
杰克逊:谢谢。我怎样借这些书呢?
Librarian: Take the card. and fill in your name and library card number.
图书管理员:拿好这张卡,填上你的名字和借书卡的卡号。
Jackson: When are they due back?
杰克逊:这些书什么时候到期?
Librarian: Not for 2 weeks, and you can come in and get a one-week extension after that. But if they are late, the fee is 25
cents per book per day. So please return them on time.
图书管理员:可以借两周,你还可以再来续借一周。如果超过这个时间的话,每本书每天要收两毛五分钱。所以请按时归还。
Jackson: I'll make sure they're back in plenty of time. Thanks so much.
杰克逊:我保证会及时还的。非常感谢。
1.“Not for 2 weeks...”是“They are not due back for 2 weeks.”的省略形式。
2.“make sure”意为“查明,确定,设法确保”,可以用作不及物动词,也可以在后面接从句。例如:You must make sure of the time and place.(你必须把时间和地点弄清楚。)You'd better make sure.(你最好确认一下。)We make sure the experiment will be a success.
(我们确定这个实验会成功。)Make sure that you lock the door when you leave.(你走时务必要把门锁上。)此外:“make certain”也可表示此含义。
大英图书馆
大英图书馆(亦可称作不列颠图书馆、英国国家图书馆)(The British Library),是世界上最大的学术图书馆之一。1973年7月由原大英博物馆图书馆、全国中央图书馆、全国科学发明参考图书馆、全国科学技术外借图书馆、英国全国书目公司合并而成。该馆的参考部收藏1000万余册印刷本图书、12万册;手写本图书、10万件印玺及3000余册抄写本和其他资料。外借部约有图书1300万册,现有期刊、报纸92000种和胶卷文件350万件,以及300万份录音资料。该馆以收藏英国文学、古版书、珍本书为特色。经费80%由英国议会拨给。
大英图书馆是一座创造性、资源性、高效率的图书馆,它立足于英国,服务全世界。它拥有独一无二的精美馆藏,堪称世界上学术、研究和创新的主要源泉之一。除了是全球信息的储藏库之一外,还是全国图书馆网络的枢纽。图书馆的计划、产品和服务对国家经济、科研、教育和创新均有重大贡献,并丰富了公众的文化生活。
作为世界上最重要的图书馆之一,伴随着网络信息的迅速传播,大英图书馆裁减了一些传统资料的订购,同时扩大了对电子出版物的采集。为了减少用户在商业和科技资料方面使用所遭受的损失,大荚图书馆正在为制定非印刷型资料缴送立法而斗争。虽然前保守党政府颁布了有关电子出版物呈缴的文件,但尚需议会通过立法。图书馆人员正在不懈努力,使图书馆保存印刷缴送本的权利扩大到非印刷媒介,以使大英图书馆能毫无愧疚地说该馆拥有“人民所应记住的”一切,而非部分印刷型出版物。